It is perhaps the most ironic thing in the world. The situation in which not getting the one thing you thought you wanted the most will maybe finally set you free.
And free to do what? It's a tough world they say and money talks. Yes money talks. We've all seen how and what it can do. How it can enslave and liberate. Keep people together and drive them apart.
It's a tough world they say and I'd have no money. No college degree or credibility or work experience. All I'd have is a report book filled with A's and a head filled with pretentious world views. But maybe just maybe I'd never have to answer to anyone again. Not in that way ever again.
And what would the alternative be? Money talks and people walk and I'd be sitting in a classroom come September. And it would be the most ironic thing in the world. To sit there at that hippie university, learning about liberties and freedoms and knowing full well that I have none. Because I'm paying for this textbook, this laptop, this lecture with the binding of my soul.
And it would be the most ironic thing in the world. If I graduate one day with my head filled with independent, empowered drivel and my heart a testament to the fact that in order to learn it I chose to sell myself to a man.
Read The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.
ReplyDeleteActually, even if not the whole book, read just The High Inquisitor from it.
ReplyDeleteI'll buy it the very minute my exams end :)
ReplyDeleteI feel you're voicing me right now. Every effing word seems to squeeze the emotions out of my heart. Beautifully said.
ReplyDeleteAlso, have you watched/read Steve Job's speech at Stanford's graduation?