Monday, November 7, 2011

Nighttime

Eleven pm and we try to sort out the tangle that our lives have been. I hate talking about him because he's new but now I realize I've never seen him in the daylight. 'Excited to go home?' He asked and I said yes. Yes I was. He squeezed my hand.

Just another party and I didn't even really want to kiss him but I was tipsy as fuck and realized that it didn't really matter anyway. Just another pair of lips. Moving. Halloween this time and of course Lahori men take full advantage of an excuse. Make up, black wings, fancy shoes. It's two am now and they're all too drunk to say no to a pretty girl selling cigarettes. We've partied enough on the side because we know the brand guy is never going to pay us the 3k each he promised. I love watching degenerate old men at parties. Too old to dance, too old to fit in. Why are they here? To sit in a reserved lounge and watch other people dance and drink?

Already dark at seven pm as I wake up in my own bed. From my room I can hear them shouting and I count days till I can go back. I was excited to come home but now I feel like a guest. It will take time to redefine home in my head and to accept that bits of home are everywhere. I brace myself and go downstairs. They stop talking when I enter. They will need time too.

Five am and I walked onto the terrace to see a girl already sitting there, crying. I take one look at her and turn one eighty degrees and back to my room to shed a few tears myself.

7 comments:

  1. You have this uncanny way of relating morbidity with everyday happenings, the darkness that lies behind and beneath and the emotions associated with it. I really hope you find it, whatever it is you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really dense. I think I need a moment there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. The dark tone is brilll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This sounds familiar, and unfamiliar, at the same time.

    I hope you make it home babe, I hope we all do!

    ReplyDelete